Skip to main content

Just two lines!

Alright suckers, here's another one.  A former Poet Laureate of the US named Ted Kooser wrote a book called The Poetry Home Repair Manual.  In it he gives advice, and examples of his and other's poetry.  Here's a one line poem by Joseph Hutchinson.  Kooser points out the poems don't have to be grand in scale, and asks if you could ever look at an artichoke in the same way after reading it.


ARTICHOKE

O heart weighed down by so many wings


That's it.  Here's another with two lines!  Maybe you'll think of it the next time you buy a bottle of Port wine.


Sweeter Than Wine

Her Port-stained lips suggest a sensuous nature.

I wonder the taste of that recycled fruit.


That's it! For now.



Comments

Post a Comment

cheryljohnson111@gmail.com, lancefb@gmail.com, marylouiseruth@hotmail.com, mikereagan@ni7t.com, mtgarcia1250@sbcglobal.net, blackoaknaturalist@att.net

Popular posts from this blog

Small Part

 The following is a small part of a story of my life that I'm writing for my children. Since the name of our group is Reading Writing and Arithmetic Club, Lance and I have discussed that it's appropriate to put writings here, so here's some writing. Just for fun.  It's a period of a couple of years during the 60' s.      Even though that first year in Berkeley wasn't easy for me, it was endlessly fascinating. That was Berkeley in the 60s. When I arrived on the scene, organized student protests were already underway, and about to intensify. The Free Speech Movement had begun in October of 1964 with a massive student sit-in at the administration building, Sproul Hall. The students took over the building and refused to leave. A lengthy standoff ended with the students being hauled out of the building and arrested in a huge police action. Afterwards there was a continuing police presence on campus.      This was the norm when I arrived. There were pro...

Joy of life and math?

Dabbling in joy fever curious I am so forever young but just now plotting my lifeline x-axis anticipating the positive intercept knowing pain will sometimes overlap the y-axis of joy and wonder. the x-axis is fixed, the y-axis is not, forever sits at said intercept on the x-line the plot a mountain silhouette stretched along the flat x-plane, peaks were the second derivative is zero and none is the number to come.

A poem!?

I fell in love with a married woman. I suspect this has happened to most everyone sometime in their life, whether a man or a woman. If that has happened to you, we have something in common. Here's a poem about such a circumstance. Oh, and the Sea of Tranquility is on the moon and where the first moon landing took place in 1969. Shadow Boxing Insignificant tittering banter she said in our latest dreamy verbal sparring. Another oblique conversation, yes, but a tangent was spun off dangerously close to getting to the point of revealing the painful throb of envy at my core, pierced by the allure of the forbidden fruit in the beautifully pruned tree next door. Daytime analysis and uninvited reality tell a liaison no more possible than a barefoot stroll on the sands of the                        Sea of Tranquility. Still, if I could ask her to vacate my dreams,                     ...